The house was built in 1925 and was the childhood home of internationally known artist William T. Wiley. Wiley is an abstract artist who became famous first in California but whose art is displayed in the Smithsonian and popular world-wide. The Wiley family moved to California when William was 10, but he still had roots in the area and some of his artwork reflected his ties to Indiana.
The house is a four-room craftsman house which was on a site to be cleared for development. When the owner learned the home was the Wiley birthplace, he offered to donate the residence to the Historic Preservation Committee if they would move it. The City of Bedford offered to lease a lot off the square for 99 years for the house. So then the challenge was to move the house to its new home.
Historic Landmarks helped Historic Preservation Committee members procure a CICF Efroymson Fund grant, to pay for the move and Stephen Edwards Building Movers made it happen. On the morning of Nov. 8, the large truck towed the house from 25th Street to 14th and J streets, where the house was maneuvered into position on its new lot.
Future plans are to use the structure as an art gallery for displays and art classes. Local art students can display their work.